So it’s been a hectic couple of months, but I finally feel ready to come back to this Tumblr. I need to do some edits - this is quite definitely not a blog about my mural project any more. I also went back and re-read some of my old posts, which has been a nice reminder to me about how this year has gone. So here’s a recap:
- I began my mural at the beginning of the year, with continued work on it and other art projects over time.
- At the end of March I decided to enter the Saatchi & Saatchi Music Video Challenge for OK Go’s newest single I’m Not Through.
- I spent the month of April doing two things: managing a retail store during their biggest product launch of the year, and working on my music video, The #ScotchTape&Spit Project.
- The video was submitted in early May, and at the end of the month I was picked as one of the twelve finalists in the music video competition. At the Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity in June, Nelson de Castro was announced as the contest winner.
- In July I moved cross-country to San Francisco.
- In August I got a job doing makeup and marketing for a movie production studio.
- In September I moved to Oakland.
All in all, the music video has been the defining project of my year, because doing it inspired me to move to California and go pursue a career in something I actually want to be doing. I wound up having to paint over my murals when I left Chicago. I’ll have to retask the focus of this blog.
So now the first piece of art I’ve publicly participated in in eight years was selected by my favorite musicians as a worthy successor to their work and featured at a world-renowned festival in Cannes, I’ve completely uprooted myself and followed my passion across the country, and I’ve landed a job in an artistic industry basically just by wanting it hard enough.
It’s been a good year.